Types of Hazardous Waste
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has categorized waste into categories:
- F-list waste: This kind of waste is unique to businesses because it’s the result of an industrial process. Examples include wood-preserving waste, petroleum refinery wastewater treatment sludge, and more.
- K-list waste: This type of waste is similar to F-list waste because it is found in commercial business operations. Unlike F-list waste, the K-list can be traced to a specific source. The EPA is able to identify 13 industries that generate K-list waste. The iron and steel industries are one prime example of an industry that produces K-list waste. Pesticides and organic chemical manufacturers are another.
- P-list and U-list waste: Grouped together, these types of waste come from specific products. In fact, a precondition for classification in either category is that the chemical must be in the form of a commercial product.
What are Common Hazardous Waste Products you Can Find at Home
Hazardous waste can include common everyday items, like car batteries and household cleaners. If you use a propane tank for your grill, that can be hazardous waste. The same goes for pesticides, drain cleaners, antifreeze, and other flammable liquids. We all own light bulbs, and those can be hazardous when it’s time to toss them out. The same goes for paint.
Businesses are no less in need of these products. Furthermore, the manufacturing processes of businesses may create a further need for hazardous waste disposal. Doing this correctly involves understanding exactly the type of waste that’s being handled.
Waste can also be identified according to its characteristics. What all of these characteristics have in common is that they point to problems that can arise if they are not handled correctly.
- Ignitability: As the name implies, this type of waste can result in a fire. Kerosene or gas are examples.
- Corrosivity: Corrosive waste can decompose and result in serious damage to the skin, among other negative health consequences. A car battery, with its acidic component, is a prime example.
- Reactivity: Reactive waste can be explosive if it becomes unstable. A lithium-sulfur battery could fall into this group.
- Toxicity: Another characteristic whose consequences are self-evident, toxic waste is poisonous and potentially fatal if ingested or absorbed. Lithium-sulfur batteries can also fall into this group, something that serves as a reminder that hazardous waste can have more than one of these four characteristics.
Hazardous products are often disposed of casually, in the trash can or the drain. This can be very dangerous. The waste that’s poured into a drain finds its way into our lakes, rivers, and streams. A hazardous product tossed in the garbage ends up exposing a landfill worker to all the risks noted above.
Attempts to use ditches and gutters to get rid of hazardous waste are often rooted in good intentions but bring the same negative results. Burning hazardous waste releases poisonous fumes into the air. Burying it can contaminate the soil. Storing the waste might be viable for a short period of time, until you can get it professionally cleaned and removed, but storage still carries long-term risks.
Disposing of hazardous waste should be done by a professional. Life Savers Restoration has over 25 years of experience with doing this potentially dangerous work safely. A family-owned business that serves Henderson and Las Vegas, we work diligently and with great attention to detail to make sure you and your family are safe.
Call us today at (844) 660-0254 or contact us online to set up an appointment.
Rudy and his team were fantastic when our kitchen flooded they were professional, supportive, thorough, and great communicators throughout the entire process. Have to give a special shout-out to Austin and Elias for all their hard work and helping me keep my sanity as they literally took apart my kitchen.
Highly recommend it when chaos ensues!Courtney H.
For the fastest response, give us a call at (844) 660-0254.
Located In Henderson, NV 89011